Monday, November 5, 2012

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt


Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

I read a review about this book online somewhere that said it was pretty good so I put it on hold at the library and I have to admit that for the first few chapters I was slightly bored but I'm glad I kept at it because I ended up enjoying this book very much and falling in love with the characters.  It became a quick read, a page turner for me. 

June Elbus is 13 years old when her uncle Finn, her best friend and her godfather, dies of Aids in 1982.  She is hurt and angry and feels left behind until she finds an unlikely friend in Finn's "other half", Toby whom she had not known during Finn's life.  It was a family secret kept from her because her mother felt like Toby gave the Aids to Finn and refused to have any relationship with him or let her family know him.  But we know that love always prevails and the family does come together full circle in the end. 

I felt like I could relate to both loner June and her outgoing sister Greta and having a sister myself, the tension and love between them. The characters in Tell the Wolves I'm Home come off as real and honest and I liked that.  

Published in June 2012 by the Random House Publishing Group.



No comments: