Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick Dewitt



The Sisters Brothers by Patrick Dewitt

Eli and Charlie Sisters are killers.  Hired gun killers.  It's 1851, Oregon City and the brothers are hired by the Commodore to kill a man who concocted a formula to make gold glow in the rivers for an easy strike.  Their mission is to travel to California, San Francisco to be precise, to kill Hermann Kermit Warm and steal the formula.  Their travels are long and dark and sometimes comedic.  Most of the book, narrated by Eli Sisters, is about their adventures during their travels and the characters they meet on the way but they finally do reach San Francisco and they do find Hermann Kermit Warm. But things have changed for the Sisters Brothers along the way and the ending takes a twisted turn that is not to be expected.


I found the book to be a little too dark and maybe a little descriptive however I was hooked early on and it became a quick read.   Mr. Dewitt is a fantastic story teller with a smooth flow of words that I can appreciate.  Plus I just like Westerns.  Always have.  I'm a huge fan of Larry McMurtry but I wouldn't exactly compare the Sisters Brothers to anything by McMurtry but more so like maybe a Charles Frazier novel such as Cold Mountain.  Seducing, riveting, grotesque, and funny all at the same time.  I can't wait for more from Patrick Dewitt!


Published in 2011 by Ecco, an imprint of HarperCollins Publisher and was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize  Also published in paperback in 2012.

1 comment:

Marlene Detierro said...

The cover caught my attention . I'm one who does not reads books about the wild wild west. The Sisters Brothers was a exception. It certainly isn't your typical shoot em up story. I best describe the book as a western themed Pulp Fiction.
Top Recommended Dallas SEO Company