Sunday, July 4, 2004

If Only It Were True by Marc Levy

Lauren Kline is  a physician who, during her weekend vacation, gets into a car accident and goes into a deep coma.  Somehow, she has figured out how to astrally travel outside of her body, by power of thought.  She thinks where she wants to be and she puts herself there.  No one can see her or hear her while she's out of her body.  She decides to go back to her old apartment and discovers a man, Arthur, an architect, who has moved in.  She watches him for a while and soon Arthur is able to see her and feel her.  At first he doesn't believe her but when she convinces him to go to the hospital to see her body, he believes.  His friends think he's crazy, talking to himself, even acting like he's with someone who's not there.  The two soon become inseperable. 

Meanwhile, back at the hospital, the staff convinces Lauren's mother to remove the feeding tube that is keeping her alive.  When Lauren confides in Arthur that this is about to happen, he decides to kidnap her body in order to keep her "ghost" alive.  An investigator with the San Francisco Police soon tracks him down, recovers the body, but strangley, the policeman believes Arthur's story and agrees not to turn him in.  The body is returned to the hospital and the next day Lauren's ghost begins to fade.  They realize that the feeding tube has been removed and soon the ghost is gone and Arthur is left to mourn the death of his new best friend.  He grieves for a couple of weeks, staying in the house and not answering the telephone.  Little does he know, Lauren is still alive and breathing, even coming out of the coma back at the hospital. 

Now, I usually don't go in for romance novels, but this one struck a chord with me because of the supernatural flair which drew me in right away.  I'm glad I read this book. It is a page turner from chapter 1, a rich heartwarming story that I won't soon forget.  The book was copyrighted in 2000 and was an instant success.  Foreign rights have been sold in twenty-eight countries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read this book a few years ago.  I picked it up and Barnes & Nobles in the clearance book section, after reading the book cover it seemed like an interesting book.  I was extremely pleased with my selection, the book was funny--I mean belly-aching (so much so that my husband began to sneak a peak when I put it down), it was also both romantic and heartwarming.  I really enjoyed the book and I think that it's a must read for anyone who appreciates a good love story.  I just had to write this comment, I was at the movies yesterday when I saw the trailer for "Just Like Heaven".  What a pleasant surprise when I began to watch it, I soon realized that the book I loved so much has been made into a movie.  I plan to see the movie, I must admit that I don't think that the movie will do the book justice.  But I will give the move a chance because I really loved the book.